- Install Google Chat as a Progressive Web App on your computer or phone. Instructions are here.
- The download link is here.
- If you are trying to create the equivalent of a “public” Slack channel, add All Staff when creating the Room. Rooms are only discoverable by people in Google Groups that are added to the Room (or people who have been invited directly).
- Before creating a new Room, make sure one doesn’t already exist by searching the name and/or browsing Rooms. All Rooms to which you are invited should appear in that list.
- Use @all to message everyone in a channel.
- To send messages to a group of people outside of a channel, click the + sign next to Chat (top left sidebar), then select “Start group conversation” and add whomever you want to the conversation.
- Good article on how to configure notifications here.
- Go to Settings in Gmail
- Go to Chat and Meet section, Turn off Hangouts and Hide the Meet section in the main menu.
7. Adjusting the History settings in a room changes the setting for the entire room, so please leave the History setting as “on”.
8. You can use Google Keep in a place of Reminders that was used in Slack.
9. If you want to “Mute” chat notifications that pop up in Gmail, you can do so temporarily by selecting the down arrow in the Hangouts box on the lower right of your screen and selecting Mute Notifications, then choosing a time frame. If you want to mute them permanently, you can simply sign out of Google Hangouts. Google Hangouts is tied to Google Chat, but they are two different products… so you can stay signed in to Google Chat at chat.google.com, but sign out of Google Hangouts. (yes, it is confusing).
10. Pin Conversations in Google Chat (best for your most-used rooms/chat)
- Click the three-dot menu icon to the right of a conversation or room and choose “Pin” from the drop-down menu.
- The conversation or room will move to the top of the Chat or Rooms list. It will also display a pin icon on the right.
- Going directly to the chat room/channel with new messages, click the number beside the Rooms or Chat section to go directly to the unread messages.