PTO/Vacation Backup Coverage Checklist Follow
Thesis: With the right planning and organization, meaningful work can be accomplished while you are out!
Ahead of PTO or vacation that will amount in more than two days out of the office, this procedure should be followed to ensure:
- the appropriate stakeholders are informed
- work can be accomplished in your stead
- you can relax or tend to what you need to tend to
- you don't come home to massive clean up
Everything on this checklist MUST be completed; this is not conditional. The only way to set you and your team up for success is to do this. It takes no more than 30 minutes to get it altogether.
Contacts and Projects
The Contacts and Projects tab houses just that--best board point of contact while you are out, contacts for any maintenance events or projects that will occur or are ongoing, and brief details on what it entails. This section is mostly completed by the manager going on leave, the column highlighted on the right should house updates from whomever is providing coverage.
Memos / Communications
Any memos you schedule sent or need to be sent out while you are gone can be linked here, along with the date on which it needs to be sent. Your best option is simply to schedule send these using this script from your Gmail account. Linking these on this tab also provides a handy reference point if tickets or calls come in about a particular memo so your coverage team has context.
By default, your APM and the manager with whom you share that resource will be your primary backup resources. On this tab, if there is a difference in assignment (for instance, a previous manager), that can be listed here. These resources will be responsible for:
- Reviewing the OOO #1 or OOO #2 at least three times daily to keep up with the queue. APM can escalate anything more complex/concerning to the coverage PM and/or supervisor depending on the situation
- Being an inbox delegate, you will need to go into the account for the PM that is OOO three times daily. Morning, midday, and end of day to clean up.
- Forward messages to dedicated building email address if it's gone only to personal email
- Delete redundant notifications, i.e. ZD that are already being worked, ads/spam, etc.
- File away
You can leave the items you think should remain in their inbox until the manager returns. If in doubt, leave it.
Please sign in to leave a comment.